Reworking the model import pipeline

Just a quick update.

I’ve been working on getting new set of models into the game. Doing that I ran into a very common problem – models tend to have arbitrary hierarchies and transforms.

For context, the game is built on a custom¬†engine that I’ve been working on over the past 6 years or so.

So when you try to untangle that to just “Here’s the Geometry. Here’s the Material, Here are the animations” – it just doesn’t work. It would be possible to make it work, but you would have to write a lot of extra code to achieve that.

So I finally gave up, I decided to support these arbitrary hierarchies inside the game. This adds a bit of overhead in terms of performance, but the asset pipeline gets so much easier that it’s worth it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *